[PD-dev] what's canvas_stowconnections?

Mathieu Bouchard matju at artengine.ca
Mon Sep 4 09:23:07 CEST 2006

On Fri, 1 Sep 2006, Miller Puckette wrote:

> "stowconnections" saves the connections to and from an object in preparation
> for replacing it with a new one (for instance, when you type into a box
> to change the object).  "restoreconnections" tries to reconnect the new
> object as the old one was.

Thanks, but I understood this already, hence the mail that says
"nevermind".

> I don't know why this was exported to a ".h" file... perhaps someone
> asked me to do it sometime in the past...

A lot of stuff in g_canvas.h has nothing to do with anything any sane
external should use... including functions that don't exist anymore...
which is why I started cleaning up my fork of g_canvas.h.

I think that the problem occurs because a lot of code is separated in
several files. In my fork, all the g_*.c code is together in one file,
which makes many lines of g_canvas.h unneeded. Separate compilation isn't
itself bad, it's that g_canvas.h doesn't distinguish between what's
intended as a public API and what's not, which may be primarily because
g_canvas.h was never intended as a public API.

BTW I don't think that breaking down the program into such small parts is
useful anymore, because compiling the whole GUI only takes a few seconds.