[PD-dev] Refactoring Pure Data

Vincent Lordier vincent.lordier at gmail.com
Mon Sep 11 14:21:33 CEST 2006

Hi enthusiasts devs !

I want to work on pd's code readability and structure, only refactoring, not
adding new features. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Refactoring)
The final goal is to make PD easy to scale (desactivate MIDI, Audio,
Network, some CoreLibs, ...)

'We've got to undo the MIDI revolution!  said Miller'
=> Well, as far as I know, removing MIDI from PD's hairy code isn't as easy
as "./configure --nomidi' make install ... yet !

There is quite a bit to do in this area, some of it is just renaming,
indenting, some of it might be "cleaning out" stuff.h to separate clearly
MIDI, Audio, engine, GUI and CoreLibs.
Again, my goal is not to alter pd in its behavior (yet), nor optimizing
anything (yet), just to improve readability and separation of modules.
Any help on this and / or pointers to previous work is welcomed :)

I want to make it easier for anyone to get into the code, to maintain it and
to address issues like portability (from embedded - PDa-like or even tinier
- to bigger systems).

BUT my main problem right now is : on which version / branch should I work
on ?

Why isn't the last 0.40-0test7 into CVS ? Are there other repositories, and
where are they, what are their goal and who maintains them ?
This is a bit confusing to me : could you explain to me, shortly, what's
going on around PD devs ?

I'll start by submitting little patches btw.

thx a lot

vincent