[PD-dev] Refactoring Pure Data

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Mon Sep 11 18:38:20 CEST 2006

I support this idea, but I have to say the biggest challenge will be
social, not technical.   I think in order for it to succeed, you will
have to submit things in small, incremental patches.  I think that it
would be best to work on the MAIN branch in CVS, i.e. Miller's
branch.  But you should also coordinate with the pd-devel people, so
that merging the doesn't become more difficult.

.hc

On Sep 11, 2006, at 8:21 AM, Vincent Lordier wrote:

> Hi enthusiasts devs !
>
> I want to work on pd's code readability and structure, only
> refactoring, not adding new features. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/
> Refactoring )
> The final goal is to make PD easy to scale (desactivate MIDI,
> Audio, Network, some CoreLibs, ...)
>
> 'We've got to undo the MIDI revolution!  said Miller'
> => Well, as far as I know, removing MIDI from PD's hairy code isn't
> as easy as "./configure --nomidi' make install ... yet !
>
> There is quite a bit to do in this area, some of it is just
> renaming, indenting, some of it might be "cleaning out" stuff.h to
> separate clearly MIDI, Audio, engine, GUI and CoreLibs.
> Again, my goal is not to alter pd in its behavior (yet), nor
> optimizing anything (yet), just to improve readability and
> separation of modules.
> Any help on this and / or pointers to previous work is welcomed :)
>
> I want to make it easier for anyone to get into the code, to
> maintain it and to address issues like portability (from embedded -
> PDa-like or even tinier - to bigger systems).
>
> BUT my main problem right now is : on which version / branch should
> I work on ?
>
> Why isn't the last 0.40-0test7 into CVS ? Are there other
> repositories, and where are they, what are their goal and who
> maintains them ?
> This is a bit confusing to me : could you explain to me, shortly,
> what's going on around PD devs ?
>
> I'll start by submitting little patches btw.
>
> thx a lot
>
> vincent

publicity.          - Bill Moyers