[PD-dev] Refactoring Pure Data

Mathieu Bouchard matju at artengine.ca
Tue Sep 12 01:36:18 CEST 2006

On Tue, 12 Sep 2006, Tim Blechmann wrote:

> again, there are social problems ... the people contributing to the code
> have different goals (data structures, fancy gui, gui/kernel separation,
> performance, threading) ... however ... a roadmap would only make sense,
> if these people would communicate ... since they don't do it, there are
> 2.5 separate branches at the moment ...

1. Does communication imply collaboration?

2. Does collaboration imply everybody on the same branch?

3. If people don't want to communicate, why is that? How can it be
changed? And I don't mean one side surrendering to the wishes of the other
side...

> the diff between devel and vanilla are several thousand lines of code
> ... and still increasing, mainly because of the desiredata stuff ...

DesireData hardly changes anything in files that are already existing...
Ok, there are 33 small #ifdefs, many of which around one-liners.

Mainly, DesireData adds 14700 lines of code. Because it's coexisting with
the traditional GUI in the devel_0_39, it doesn't remove the files that it
doesn't use anymore (which are 25500 lines all together).

But give me some weeks and I promise that DesireData will be smaller.
:-)