[PD-dev] [once] default closed...

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Tue Sep 12 01:47:00 CEST 2006

Hallo,

> I was thinking that it would be nice to have [once] accept a single
> argument which would set the initial state of the object, just like
> [spigot].  But this means that it would have to be default closed
> like spigot, breaking backwards compatibility.  Do you mind if I make
> this change in abstractions/purepd/once.pd and add a warning message
> on load?

I've never used [once] but to me it seems that breaking compatibility
just for something "that would be nice" may do more harm than good to
people who have actually used [once] and who now would need to find
and change the patches where they did.

Additionally I would find it confusing to have a [once] which would
actually be more like a [nonce] unless called with an argument.

Ciao