[PD-dev] [once] default closed...

Mathieu Bouchard matju at artengine.ca
Tue Sep 12 02:05:24 CEST 2006

On Mon, 11 Sep 2006, Mathieu Bouchard wrote:
> On Mon, 11 Sep 2006, Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:
> Ok, so you want to extend the tentacles of Pd's caste system further?
> Abstractions for the plebe, externals for gentlemen.
> It looks like you didn't read that line of mine below?
>>> Don't accept Pd's limitations, push for $@ and/or $# today!

I mean, shouldn't abstractions have access to the same features as
externals do? Why would a limitation in the way abstractions currently can
accept arguments, define how [once] behaves, forever?

If you can't use $@ and $# because they're not Miller-approved, then
what's the problem with using an external that will provide you the kind
of argument-fetching that you need, for making the object behave like
people would expect? I mean something like MAX's [patcherargs] instead of
trying to fit with the dumb ways of $1 and construe it as a feature or as
a principle to extend over all the behaviour of Pd.