[PD-dev] [once] default closed...

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Wed Sep 13 07:29:59 CEST 2006

On Sep 11, 2006, at 7:47 PM, Frank Barknecht wrote:

> Hallo,
>
>> I was thinking that it would be nice to have [once] accept a single
>> argument which would set the initial state of the object, just like
>> [spigot].  But this means that it would have to be default closed
>> like spigot, breaking backwards compatibility.  Do you mind if I make
>> this change in abstractions/purepd/once.pd and add a warning message
>> on load?
>
> I've never used [once] but to me it seems that breaking compatibility
> just for something "that would be nice" may do more harm than good to
> people who have actually used [once] and who now would need to find
> and change the patches where they did.
>
> Additionally I would find it confusing to have a [once] which would
> actually be more like a [nonce] unless called with an argument.

I actually think that default closed would be more consistent
behavior, especially if [once] uses an argument.  Changing [once] to
default-closed would make it exactly like [spigot], except with the
added feature of closing itself after receiving one piece of data.

The more objects behave consistently with each other, the better Pd
will be.