[PD-dev] [once] default closed...

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Wed Sep 13 16:22:17 CEST 2006

Hallo,

> I actually think that default closed would be more consistent
> behavior, especially if [once] uses an argument.  Changing [once] to
> default-closed would make it exactly like [spigot], except with the
> added feature of closing itself after receiving one piece of data.
>
> The more objects behave consistently with each other, the better Pd
> will be.

I still don't see the Why. [once] is used in a different context than
[spigot] and to me, having [once] open as default is more natural for
its use which is: let something pass *once* through the open path,
then close the path until the object is reset to its initial state:
open. Contrary to this [spigot] just like its counterpart in real
life, a spigot for water, is normally closed and only opened on
demand. (There was a time, when [spigot] didn't accept an argument,
that was the time, when people invented [once]).

As I don't use [once] I don't really care much about how [once]
behaves, however changing the default is bound to create confusion,
just like switching the inlets of atan2 did, and I can't really follow
the motivation for this.

Additionally the only use the [once] object has IMO is as a backwards
compatibile shortcut for "[spigot 1]-[trigger a b]-[1]" from a time,
when [spigot 1] wasn't invented yet. As a "default closed [once]" is
so similar to [spigot], the need for having it as an abstraction at
all is questionable.

Regarding consistency: I hope you don't intend to switch the inlets of
[timer] for the sake of consistency? ;-)

Ciao