[PD-dev] [once] default closed...

IOhannes m zmoelnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Fri Sep 15 13:43:34 CEST 2006

hi.

Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:

> IOhannes stuck [once] into the purepd library.  I started that library

true

> as a DEVELOPMENT library to explore ideas of how to implement things in

sorry, i had no idea you intended it like that.
i always thought that purepd would be a replacement for often-used
externals in plain pd, and that it was meant to be a community effort.
i was mistaken here.

> Pd.  IOhannes replaced my code with [once] without asking me.  That's

hmm, which code are you talking about?
did i _replace_ your code of [once] with (my) [once]? i don't think so.
did i replace your code of [oneshot] with one using (my implementation
of) [once]? this is true (but the logfiles of [oneshot] state, that it
is meant as a "pd-ified version[s] of existing object[s]"; the only
known [oneshot] object (at that time) is in MarkEx/Gem, and the original
pd-ified object did not properly implement that's behaviour. i thought i
was fixing a bug...)

> bad CVS etiquette.  But [once] was an improvement on what was there.  I

thanks for the roses.

> want to improve it further but you guys are blocking me.  So here's what
> I say:
> purepd will remain a DEVELOPMENT library.  If you want a static,
> unchanging [once], please include it elsewhere, like zexy.  If you want
> a place to freely explore implementing things in Pd, please include it
> in the purepd library.  Then as interfaces and ideas get solidified,
> they can be moved elsewhere.

an this from someone who is known for advocating "standard" behaviour of
objects.

purepd is a very catchy name for a mere sandbox.

mfg.adr.
IOhannes