[PD-dev] [once] default closed...

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Sat Sep 16 12:38:25 CEST 2006

Hallo,

> Arg... another example of the limitations of email, its so hard to
> communicate anything where nuance is essential.  This discussion
> would take 10 minutes in person and no one would be annoyed.

Ah, yes, that's so very true... ;)

> - I do not care about strict adherence to backwards compatibility
> - I do care about finding broad standards that make sense in the overall
> - I did not know that [once] already exists elsewhere outside of purepd

A name - of an object or a funicton - always carries some meaning of its
own, which should be related to its behaviour.  That is my main point
against having [once] closed as default: A closed [once] to me more
seems like a "[never]".  Viewing it from this point was what made me
come up with [countdown].  Maybe [countdown] isn't the best name,
either.  Alternatives could be [manyshot], [someshot], [passmany],
[passcount] etc. What do you think?

Ciao