[PD-dev] Using PD just as an API

IOhannes m zmoelnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Sat Sep 16 22:25:22 CEST 2006

Jarbas Jacome wrote:
> Brothers, is it possible to use PD just as code API, without using its GUI?
> I mean, for example, create a program with a completely diferent GUI for
> PD?
> Or make a program without interface at all. Any good example of
> something like that?

"pd -nogui"

seriously, there have been numerous efforts and solutions to use
different guis for pd.
basically there are 2 different approaches:
the simple one is using FUDI/OSC to remote control an invisible pd;
personally i use this a lot with remote-controlling pd with another pd;
projects that use other toolkits include GriPD and the 2 browser plugins
for pd.
the other approach tries to have a better separation between
audio-kernel and pd-gui (which unfortunately are very much
interdependent in the current state of the pd codebase); the most
notable of these projects is DesireData.

try searching the archives on these topics...

mf.gadrs
IOhannes