[PD-dev] missing file from pd-MAIN and fftw version

Tim Blechmann tim at klingt.org
Tue Sep 26 23:46:31 CEST 2006

On Tue, 2006-09-26 at 23:21 +0200, Frank Barknecht wrote:
> > I should add, the next key step is to remove as many classes as
> > possible from the root namespace (i.e. compiled into Pd).
>
> IMO this step should wait until we have the equivalent to Python's
> "from pdcore import *" or C++'s "using namespace std"

sorry for some 'implementation details', but this is not as trivial as
it would be in a script language.

i can think of two ways to implement a namespace:
- a property of the canvas
- a |using| or |import| object

the first solution would be a contrary to pd's design principle (as
written by miller in the pd docs, §2.6.2. persistence of data).
for the second solution the creation time of the import object would be
crucial (which would also be a contrary to §2.6.2), or objects will have
to be reloaded when import objects are created/destroyed, which would
increase the complexity of the implementation quite a bit...

just my 1.95 ¢

cheers ... tim

--
tim at klingt.org    ICQ: 96771783
http://www.mokabar.tk

A paranoid is a man who knows a little of what's going on.
  William S. Burroughs