[PD-dev] missing file from pd-MAIN and fftw version

Tim Blechmann tim at klingt.org
Wed Sep 27 11:48:41 CEST 2006

On Wed, 2006-09-27 at 03:05 -0400, Mathieu Bouchard wrote:
> On Tue, 26 Sep 2006, Tim Blechmann wrote:
> > On Tue, 2006-09-26 at 23:21 +0200, Frank Barknecht wrote:
> >> IMO this step should wait until we have the equivalent to Python's
> >> "from pdcore import *" or C++'s "using namespace std"
> > sorry for some 'implementation details', but this is not as trivial as
> > it would be in a script language.
>
> 1. It's not that trivial in a "script" language
>
> 2. It's exactly as difficult in a "script" languages as in pd. (pd isn't
> as special as we may believe it is)

well, it is in one term ... scripting languages are written in a text
file, that's parsed from the top to the bottom. _this_ is absolutely the
same as with pd ... the difference is, pd patches are not written in a
text editor (at least, this is the usual case, i know, it's possible)
and the parsing order is not transparent to the user ...

unlike other interpreted languages, changes to the patch are done
immediately, i.e. after changing something in the patch, there is no
need to reload the patch file (compared with python's 'reload' or
recompiling with a langugage like c/c++).

what makes you think, that this is similar in text-based languages?

tim

--
tim at klingt.org    ICQ: 96771783
http://www.mokabar.tk

Which is more musical, a truck passing by a factory or a truck passing
by a music school?
  John Cage