[PD-dev] missing file from pd-MAIN and fftw version

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Thu Sep 28 01:09:39 CEST 2006

On Sep 27, 2006, at 2:32 AM, Mathieu Bouchard wrote:

> On Tue, 26 Sep 2006, Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:
>
>> I should add, the next key step is to remove as many classes as
>> possible from the root namespace (i.e. compiled into Pd).
>
> I should add, that it should be possible to achieve proper
> namespacing without moving anything out of the root namespace.
>
> BTW, here's an idea that I consider interesting regarding
> namespaces. Currently, the objectmaker of pd holds all classnames
> of pd and maps them to creators using its methodtable. Now what if
> "the" objectmaker was just "an" objectmaker among others? Think:
> namespace = objectmaker.
>
> For example, each patch gets its own objectmaker, and each
> objectmaker has a class_addanything which causes a fallback of any
> unknown classname to a parent namespace. Eventually, asking for
> creation of a [+] box crawls up a chain that leads back to the root
> namespace, if none of the objectmakers in the chain defines a +
> method.
>
> That way, we avoid coding extra namespace-handling features and
> avoid creating a bunch of symbols with slashes in them and we reuse
> the features already in pd.
>
> This idea should raise a few questions and a few eyebrows but I
> believe that it's an idea worth considering and which could pay off.

Sounds like an interesting idea.  But how does it map to the filesystem?

>> For many, it would be trivial to do, just compile them as
>> individual objects in a libdir. I've already done this for
>> x_list.c, x_net.c, and a couple others.  Things like
>> x_arithmatic.c will be trickier, but this does not have to happen
>> at once.  It can happen incrementally.
>
> I can't think of why x_arithmetic.c would be trickier, maybe you
> can explain. What I believe will be really trickier are things that
> are even more elementary to the pd language: [pd] [inlet] [outlet]
> [objectmaker] [canvasmaker] [struct] [loadbang].

Its trickier because of the build dependencies.  As for [pd] [inlet]
[outlet] [objectmaker] [canvasmaker] [struct] [loadbang], somethings
need to be in the core of the language.  Something like [import]
would be needed too.  Think reserved words.