[PD-dev] [once] default closed...

Mathieu Bouchard matju at artengine.ca
Fri Sep 29 07:50:09 CEST 2006

On Wed, 27 Sep 2006, Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:

> From what I know most programming languages are more likely to adhere
> consistency of function arguments.

Everything that allows default arguments, except pd, doesn't enforce one
value of default value, and instead require that a default value be
supplied. This is implemented in C++, Java (1.5?), Python, Ruby, Tcl,
CommonLISP, and a bunch more.

> Words can be very vague, especially when you consider that many
> programmers will be programming in a language that is not their native
> tongue.  So it seems quite difficult to be strictly adherent to the
> words.

Maybe you'd like to study the case of Ruby. This is a weird language in
the sense that it's been written with English words by a bunch of Japanese
people who live in Japan and who use Japanese as their main language.

NotImplementError used to be the name of a kind of error. The Array class
has a method called "indexes". But in general it wasn't so much the naming
in the code that was bad... when I started 6 years ago, the manual was
saying things like "Instance variables are belong to the certain object."

> But words are how humans communicate with each other, so the meaning of
> the language should be given attention.

Right.

> I personally feel that its not more linguistically consistent to have
> [once] default open when it has no argument.  But this is inconsistent
> in usage with similar objects ([spigot]...).

What Would Demux Do?