[PD-dev] missing file from pd-MAIN and fftw version

Mathieu Bouchard matju at artengine.ca
Sun Oct 1 17:48:13 CEST 2006

On Wed, 27 Sep 2006, Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:
> On Sep 27, 2006, at 2:32 AM, Mathieu Bouchard wrote:
>> For example, each patch gets its own objectmaker, and each objectmaker has
>> a class_addanything which causes a fallback of any unknown classname to a
>> parent namespace. Eventually, asking for creation of a [+] box crawls up a
>> chain that leads back to the root namespace, if none of the objectmakers in
>> the chain defines a + method.
> Sounds like an interesting idea.  But how does it map to the filesystem?

I don't have answers to everything, and in particular, not to that one.

The only recommendations that I'd make right away, are not how mapping to
the filesystem will work when creating objects; I think that this can work
the way pd or pd-extended works right now; the difference would be that
the code for this, would be bound to namespace objects (objectmakers).

That way, one could add support for .zip (aka ".jar") files just by
calling class_addanything. ok, maybe not that straightforward, but almost
so.

> Its trickier because of the build dependencies.  As for [pd] [inlet]
> [outlet] [objectmaker] [canvasmaker] [struct] [loadbang], somethings
> need to be in the core of the language.  Something like [import] would
> be needed too.  Think reserved words.

Yes. They could be considered the basis of a pd microlanguage... but in
another sense pd is already a microlanguage, as most of its functionality
is already in chunks that are easy to separate from the pd kernel. What's
left to do is to find where the line lies and to cut it there.