[PD-dev] Pd namespace design

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Sat Oct 14 00:48:08 CEST 2006

The namespace bug I found in 0.40 just made me think of starting a
wiki to document these ideas.  I think we should have a pretty clear
idea of how we want to implement namespaces before this is
implemented.  Since Miller has added some namespace-related stuff in
0.40, I think the time is now to start discussing.

http://puredata.org/dev/PdNamespaces

For example, one issue that just came up is namespace prefixes.
Namespace prefixes are not optional, every decent namespace that I
have used allows you to both import/declare and call classes directly
using the whole path.  Here's how Java does, in a rough example:

import my.lib;
Prepend myPrepend = new Prepend();  // from my.lib
other.lib.Prepend myOtherPrepend = new other.lib.Prepend();

publicity.          - Bill Moyers