[PD-dev] [ pure-data-Bugs-1371511 ] declaration of `y1' shadows a global declaration

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Thu Oct 19 02:11:14 CEST 2006

On Oct 18, 2006, at 11:42 AM, IOhannes m zmoelnig wrote:

> SourceForge.net wrote:
>>
>> Comment By: Mathieu Bouchard (matju)
>> Date: 2006-10-18 09:47
>> Whatever about calling functions y0,y1,yn, they've been
>> there since almost the beginning of unix. They're Bessel
>> functions defined in <math.h>. You won't be able to move
>> them out of it.
>
> oh, i see. i didn't know that bessel-functions are in <math.h>.
> nevertheless i think it was a very stupid thing to call them y1()
> or the like in the first place (but i agree, that this cannot be
> changed any more).
>
>> This suggests that the -Wshadow warning is
>> of questionable use. I'd turn it off, personally.
>
> right, that was suggestion c) which mysteriously vanished.

I think its a really bad idea to name functions using names that have
existing in standard headers for decades, especially when that header
is used in the same project.  So must more C devs since gcc warns of
this condition by default.  The warning should stay so that we don't
get more such conditions.

This would be easy to fix with sed, but my guess that its not going
to happen.  But before we start purging the open bugs, I think we
should talk about policy a bit.  Just closing it because its not
going to be fixed soon doesn't seem like the good solution to me.
Instead it should be set to "Postponed", "later", "Remind", "Wont
Fix", something that communicates why its being ignored and makes it
easy to find in the future.

If nature has made any one thing less susceptible than all others of
it to himself; but the moment it is divulged, it forces itself into
the possession of everyone, and the receiver cannot dispossess
himself of it.            - Thomas Jefferson