[PD-dev] Re: config.h enhancements

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Sat Oct 21 00:30:54 CEST 2006

On Oct 19, 2006, at 4:57 AM, IOhannes m zmoelnig wrote:

> hi
>
> Hans Steiner wrote:
>> Just a thought: Miller has started, just barely, to use a config.h
>> generated by ./configure in pd/src.  How about adding the stuff
>> that you have in zexyconf.h there?  Then every library can
>> benefit.  For now, we can just use patches in the Pd-extended
>> build until Miller accepts them.
>> I was planning on starting to make the externals/Makefile stuff
>> use pd/src/config.h anyway, instead of doing a separate ./
>> configure for externals/
>
> in theory i second this.
> in parctice there are 2 caveats:
> a) this would actually mean, that people would either change pd's
> configure.in (which is not possible dues to ACLs) or they would
> have to patch pd before building an external (which is not
> acceptable for me, since building against pd-vanilla is really a
> must for me)

The other option is to start submitting patches to the tracker so
that they get included into the main Pd.  Yes, its slow, but that's
the way we have to modify the core of Pd now.  The Pd-extended
patches are meant to be a stepping stone to getting things included
in the Pd core.  Plus it gives you a place to work until the patches
get included in the core.

> b) in zexy and Gem i use some customized m4-modules which i find
> really cool and would hate to abandon (but i understand if somebody
> would not want to use them). i think that they are much more
> elegant than simply using uname's output to decide which flags to
> use. so i'm sure that i would want to change the configure.in to
> make it fit to my aesthetics which might break everything, and we
> surely don't want that. (most likely this is pure vanity, but...)

I think that these m4 modules could be handy in the core, the one for
detecting Frameworks, for example.

> PS: btw, i was forwarding all of your personal emails to pd-dev
> (since i consider them to be of archive-able value); i hope this is
> ok for you.

ok