[PD-dev] mystery type generated by [list trim]

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Sat Oct 28 09:57:47 CEST 2006

Hallo,

> A student just discovered this strange behavior.  Basically, if you
> get something that generates a symbolic atom that has numeric data in
> it, you can then create a mystery type by feeding that thru [list
> trim].  Don't know exactly where the problem is, but something fishy
> is going on.

What "list trim" does on a "symbol X" is generate a meta message
consisting only of the selector "X". But here this selector is
numeric. Numeric selectors are illegal, because selectors have to be a
symbol. It could be considered a bug in the patch trying to generate
such illegal meta-messages. Removing the [list trim] will fix the
patch as will adding a [list] after [list trim].

> My guess is that [list trim] should output a float.

To me it is a bug in the patch rather than in [list trim]. In my
understanding [list trim] is designed to remove the "list"-selector
and through that the other two standard Pd selectors, "float" and
"symbol" as well, but it was not designed to add them or to convert
from "symbol ..." to "float ...". For that, [list] itself should be
used.

Ciao