[PD-dev] mystery type generated by [list trim]

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Sun Oct 29 22:30:18 CET 2006

Hallo,

> That outlines the situation well.  So my point is now that this needs
> to be fixed either way. The definition of atoms should be
> consistent.  I think its good the way its defined in the manual:
>
> "Atoms are either numbers or symbols like "+". Anything that is not a
> valid number is considered a symbol."
>
> Therefore "1234" should always be a numeric atom.

To be pedantic: You cannot conclude this from the manual, because one
could extend the quote as: "Anything that is not a valid number is
considered a symbol ... and something that is a valid number can be
(made into) a symbol as well in certain rare circumnstances. But then
it's not a usual number ("float") anymore and you need to be careful."

> I think that the
> type system should prevent this from happening, but maybe its also
> possible to fix the objects that are creating this mystery type.  So
> far its [makefilename] and [dumpOSC].
>
> But perhaps it would me nice to be able to use a numeric atom in a
> symbol message, I seem to recall that being useful sometimes.  But
> that should probably be tested out in examples.

I somehow remember that numeric symbols have their use with the
text-rendering objects of Gem (phone numbers that start with 0 come to
mind). In day-to-day use purely numeric symbols aren't needed and
normally they aren't generated as well.  I'd consider generating
numeric symbols "advanced Pd usage. ;) And *if* someone generates
them, one should be aware of the consequences for example in [select]
and [route].

Anyway what is needed in the long term is a proper string type.

Ciao