[PD-dev] BUG: namespace prefixes broken in 0.40

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Wed Nov 1 19:12:30 CET 2006

On Nov 1, 2006, at 6:29 AM, Frank Barknecht wrote:

> Hallo,
>
>> Then to make iemlib/split.pd_darwin work as [split], one would use
>> [declare iemlib] or [import iemlib].
>
> Syntax suggestion: what about [declare -import iemlib]?

First off, how would this be different than [declare -lib]?  [import]
just loads libs.

Personally, I think the syntax of [declare] is inconsistent.  Nowhere
else in Pd are cmd line style arguments used in object boxes.  They
are used a couple of places in message boxes, but I think that
suffers from the similar problems.  It just doesn't feel right to me,
doesn't feel Pd-ish.

For [declare], I think it could make a lot more sense as an interface
to split it up into separate object boxes for paths and libs.  I
guess this is still experimental since as far as I can tell,
[declare] suffers from the same limitation as [import]: it must be
the first object loaded to work properly.

One thing that might make sense for the global settings -stdlib and -
stdpath is to make them message based, like [;pd lib zexy( or [;pd
path /path/to/my/extra(  With those in place, the flags wouldn't be
needed.

I have the audacity to believe that peoples everywhere can have three
and dignity, equality and freedom for their spirits.      - Martin
Luther King, Jr.