[PD-dev] BUG: namespace prefixes broken in 0.40

Mathieu Bouchard matju at artengine.ca
Thu Nov 2 00:49:29 CET 2006

On Wed, 1 Nov 2006, Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:

> First off, how would this be different than [declare -lib]?

Actually, what does [declare] do?... I just remember some of the
discussions about it vaguely, but if something's been implemented in pd
lately, I haven't tried it.

> Personally, I think the syntax of [declare] is inconsistent.  Nowhere
> else in Pd are cmd line style arguments used in object boxes.

They're used in Krzysztof Czaja's TOXY. I'm sorry if you only mean what
Miller does. I don't think that a decision about this should only
consider Miller's practice and no-one else's.

> It just doesn't feel right to me, doesn't feel Pd-ish.

It doesn't feel Miller-ish.

> [import] just loads libs.

To get my approval, any kind of namespace solution should be local, so
that what is imported by one canvas does not affect what is imported by
another canvas, except if it's a subcanvas ([pd] or [page]). In other
words, the boundary of a $0 is the boundary that [import] should not
trespass.

> One thing that might make sense for the global settings -stdlib and
> -stdpath is to make them message based, like [;pd lib zexy( or [;pd path
> /path/to/my/extra( With those in place, the flags wouldn't be needed.

I don't have anything against runtime configuration of pd's global
settings, there just have to be a local setting or it doesn't deserve to
be called namespaces.