[PD-dev] BUG: namespace prefixes broken in 0.40

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Thu Nov 2 04:19:07 CET 2006

On Nov 1, 2006, at 6:49 PM, Mathieu Bouchard wrote:

> On Wed, 1 Nov 2006, Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:
>
>> First off, how would this be different than [declare -lib]?
>
> Actually, what does [declare] do?... I just remember some of the
> discussions about it vaguely, but if something's been implemented
> in pd lately, I haven't tried it.

Um, RTFM?  There's a help patch, its pretty clear.

>> Personally, I think the syntax of [declare] is inconsistent.
>> Nowhere else in Pd are cmd line style arguments used in object boxes.
>
> They're used in Krzysztof Czaja's TOXY. I'm sorry if you only mean
> what Miller does. I don't think that a decision about this should
> only consider Miller's practice and no-one else's.

Sorry, that one slipped by me.  Doesn't change my overall opinion.

>> It just doesn't feel right to me, doesn't feel Pd-ish.
>
> It doesn't feel Miller-ish.
>
>> [import] just loads libs.
>
> To get my approval, any kind of namespace solution should be local,
> so that what is imported by one canvas does not affect what is
> imported by another canvas, except if it's a subcanvas ([pd] or
> [page]). In other words, the boundary of a $0 is the boundary that
> [import] should not trespass.

I don't think that anyone disagrees with that.  But there is, and
should be, local settings.  There are global settings also.  That's
probably needed for transitional support, and there might be a decent
argument for keeping them in general.

>> One thing that might make sense for the global settings -stdlib
>> and -stdpath is to make them message based, like [;pd lib zexy( or
>> [;pd path /path/to/my/extra( With those in place, the flags
>> wouldn't be needed.
>
> I don't have anything against runtime configuration of pd's global
> settings, there just have to be a local setting or it doesn't
> deserve to be called namespaces.

[declare] does both local and global.

The arc of history bends towards justice.     - Dr. Martin Luther
King, Jr.