[PD-dev] BUG: namespace prefixes broken in 0.40

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Thu Nov 2 04:55:30 CET 2006

On Nov 1, 2006, at 1:28 PM, Miller Puckette wrote:

> Well, 'declare' actually sets the patch up to do the path and lib
> fixes
> before it loads any objects (including the declare itself).

Ah, excellent!  I see, [declare] always inserts itself at the top of
the object list in the file.

> I'm in agreement that the syntax is strange.  I preferred to use a
> single
> name "declare" in order not to hog up any more new names than
> necessary.
> Perhaps a better syntax would be "declare lib [name]" instead of
> "declare -lib [name]" -- I could make declare take either one.

I think two names is not such a big deal if there are real
namespaces.  There are basically very few reserved words in Pd.  I
think most of the current core objects could be split out into a
separate lib.

Here's the list of reserved words for objects that I can think of:

[pd]
[inlet]
[outlet]
[inlet~]
[outlet~]
[declare] ([path] and [import] would be a possibility)

In theory, [pd] and [declare] could be the only reserved words, with
everything else in libraries.  Then [pd], [path], and [import] would
not be a hard list to workaround.  I started a list on the wiki page,
please add more if you think of some:

http://puredata.org/dev/PdNamespaces

.hc