opt-in usage statistics 'phone home' WAS: [PD-dev] BUG: namespace prefixes broken in 0.40

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Fri Nov 3 02:20:56 CET 2006

On Nov 2, 2006, at 2:08 AM, carmen wrote:

> On Thu Nov 02, 2006 at 02:02:52PM +0800, Chris McCormick wrote:
>>>
>>> That is strange, I hadn't seen that before.  I also have not seen
>>> gridflow before.  I should say, then I am talking about things in
>>> common usage.  There is definitely a lot of stuff shoe-horned into
>>> some of those draw and plot boxes.  I wonder how to make that stuff
>>> work without the new syntax?
>>
>> I would say that datastructures should be considered amongst
>> things that
>> are "in common usage". It's simply not possible to use datastructures
>> for visualising audio data without the scaling syntax, and I think
>> there's a good reason that Miller made the syntax look like that -
>> it's not possible to do it without some kind of custom syntax like
>> that.
>
> so youre advocating arbitrary microformatting on a per-case basis
> instead of fixing the pd syntax so its not necessary?
>
> hpoefully i just misread.. how do you generate/parse -y amp(0:100)
> (0:100) easily. maybe the nonexistent regexp external?
>

>  Datastructures are part of the Pd core.
>>
>> Incidentally, I also think this highlights the need for a poll of the
>> Pd list at some point so we can get some idea of what users are using
>> what externals, abstraction sets, libraries, etc. I would love to see
>> the numbers, and it would probably be useful for Miller to see
>> what is
>> popular about Pd in a quantifiable scientific way.
>
> what about an opt-in usage statistics 'phone home'. initng does
> this for example.. firefox just does it without even asking..

Funny, I was just thinking about something like that.  It would be
cool to know how many people are using Pd.  If you code it, I'll
include it in Pd-extended.  Then maybe it could make it into devel or
MAIN.

Right now, there have been roughly 17,000 downloads of the last Pd-
extended release, according to SourceForge:

http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?
group_id=55736&package_id=76013

I'd like to know how many people use it, and for what.

.hc