[PD] Re: [PD-dev] launching tcl/tk scripts from pd

Mathieu Bouchard matju at artengine.ca
Tue Nov 7 01:04:50 CET 2006

On Mon, 6 Nov 2006, Federico wrote:
> Mathieu Bouchard ha scritto:
>> Ok, if I'm not staying too long in Toronto, we're having a developers
>> meeting tomorrow at Ottawa university (matju + _heri + alx1) and we're
>> going to talk about GridFlow II.
> maybe Toronto's nights are too late for me :)

The meeting is in Ottawa... it's just that I was setting up a
GridFlow-based exhibition in Toronto at Glendon Gallery.

Toronto, Ottawa, Montréal are all in the same timezone though.

The meeting was today and just ended. I didn't respond much on IRC because
we were busy at it.

> if you came on IRC early I would be happy to hear (or partecipate) to te
> discussion

The meeting was not on IRC. Tomorrow we're meeting again because I just
agreed to stay one more day in Ottawa. Further meetings will be on IRC.

> til now, I have a question wich didn't make me spleep tonight: also
> GridFlow is affected by those client/server issues?

only to the extent that GridFlow does GUI, but that's only the [display]
class.

> does GridFlow run in the client?

No, except part of [display], part of [peephole], the tcl/ruby evaluators,
and the GridFlow menu.

> and it's totally inaccurate (with cpu load at 5~10% its clearly audible
> that messages or whatever are off-time)

This might be due to the garbage collector, which has to run once in a
while and takes some time (e.g. 25 ms once every N seconds). Those timing
issues are the 2nd most important reason to switch away from Ruby.

The Tcl language doesn't have a garbage collector, so this problem cannot
happen. The Python language (which was another possibility for me) has a
garbage collector which is faster than Ruby (because it relies on being
combined with a reference-counter).

> can't wait for the dev meeting :)

I'm sorry that this meeting doesn't happen on IRC.