[PD] Re: [PD-dev] launching tcl/tk scripts from pd

Mathieu Bouchard matju at artengine.ca
Sun Nov 12 20:53:35 CET 2006

On Sat, 11 Nov 2006, Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:

> If you are going to add Tcl support, I highly recommend that you check
> out the loader functionality that Thomas wrote.  Its in both devel and
> MAIN, and there is a working CLR version working.  I am thinking you
> could implement a Tcl loader and Pd API layer, then you'll be able to
> write regular Pd objects directly in Tcl.

I can already write regular Pd object-classes directly in Tcl or Ruby,
thank you very much. I can name you two hundred (200) classes that
were either implemented in Ruby or wrapped as Ruby using SWIG or
source_filter.rb.

Thomas's loader does not enable other languages for externals; pd already
allowed this by itself for very long, even though PyExt didn't seem to
allow any class name other than [py] last time I checked. Thomas's loader
is only about giving equal opportunity to pd's search path and incremental
priorities.

How do I detect whether a given version of Pd supports that feature or
not?