[PD-dev] [declare] and helppath

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Thu Nov 16 05:25:02 CET 2006

So I was just working on making a libdir loader which uses the new
[declare] functionality and I noticed that [declare] doesn't seem to
handle the helppath stuff at all.  That means that you'll get an
unknown help patch if you are using the [declare] local paths.  The
help path would be then global, but the path for finding objects
would be local to the patch, and could be quite different.
Therefore, the help patch would mostly likely be for the wrong object
with a given name.

The helppath will need to be local to the patch as well.  One option
is to make the helppath use the ce_path, and use the libdir format,
which includes the *.pd_darwin and *-help.pd in the same folder.

If nature has made any one thing less susceptible than all others of
it to himself; but the moment it is divulged, it forces itself into
the possession of everyone, and the receiver cannot dispossess
himself of it.            - Thomas Jefferson