[PD-dev] gcc 4.1 and auto-vectorization

Tim Blechmann tim at klingt.org
Fri Nov 17 13:01:48 CET 2006

On Thu, 2006-11-16 at 16:28 -0500, Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:
> Debian/testing now uses gcc 4.1 as its default compiler.  I just
> noticed when doing the apt-get upgrades.  Has anyone tried the auto-
> vectorization stuff?  Is it worthwhile with Pd?

you might want to check the archives:
http://lists.puredata.info/pipermail/pd-dev/2006-08/007324.html

to explain the terms 'alignment' and 'aliasing':

alignment:
audio blocks are not known to be aligned to 16byte boundaries

aliasing:
for functions in the form foo(t_sample * a, t_sample * b, int n), the
compiler is unable to know if the memory regions of a and b are
overlapping (b may be a+1)

cheers ... tim

--
tim at klingt.org    ICQ: 96771783
http://www.mokabar.tk

The price an artist pays for doing what he wants is that he has to do
it.
  William S. Burroughs