[PD-dev] gcc 4.1 and auto-vectorization

Tim Blechmann tim at klingt.org
Sat Nov 18 12:03:47 CET 2006

> I really doubt that the gcc devs put a lot of effort into something
> that has no effect. Perhaps not for Pd, that may be true.  But they
> are talking about vectorizing loops, it may not be the best thing to
> vectorize, but there are definitely vectorizable loops in Pd.

the problem is not vectorizing, but auto-vectorizing. the best thing,
that gcc (or icc) can do, is to generate vectorized code for non-aligned
(read non-optimal) for setting audio blocks ...
loops that access two or more blocks will face the aliasing problem

> I'd say its worth trying.

just try it, i'm curious about your oprofile dumps

> Compilation optimization is not an
> exercise in pure deduction.

no, but you can figure out a lot by examining the machine code (if you
can read machine code) and read the debugging output of the vectorizer.

tim at klingt.org    ICQ: 96771783
http://www.mokabar.tk

You can play a shoestring if you're sincere
  John Coltrane