[PD-dev] gcc 4.1 and auto-vectorization

chris clepper cgclepper at gmail.com
Sat Nov 18 22:37:22 CET 2006

On 11/18/06, Mathieu Bouchard <matju at artengine.ca> wrote:

> On Sat, 18 Nov 2006, Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:
>
> > I really doubt that the gcc devs put a lot of effort into something that
> > has no effect. Perhaps not for Pd, that may be true.  But they are
> > talking about vectorizing loops, it may not be the best thing to
> > vectorize, but there are definitely vectorizable loops in Pd.
>
> perhaps it would be a good start to reimplement newbytes(n) using
> memalign(16,n) instead of malloc(n).

Fix the loop sizes to a literal so the compiler has some clue as to how the
loop is structured.  The compiler will not figure out passing a runtime
parameter in for the loop size.

It should be noted that most 'benchmarks' for the auto-vector features are
heavily rigged and not like anything used in the average application.  See
further http://www.spec.org/