[PD-dev] gcc 4.1 and auto-vectorization

Mathieu Bouchard matju at artengine.ca
Sun Nov 19 22:57:06 CET 2006

On Sun, 19 Nov 2006, Thomas Grill wrote:
> Am 18.11.2006 um 22:16 schrieb Mathieu Bouchard:
>> perhaps it would be a good start to reimplement newbytes(n) using
>> memalign(16,n) instead of malloc(n).
> A few years ago i introduced aligned memory allocation in the pd-devel
> branch.

I see how you did it. Is it because posix_memalign() isn't as portable as
we'd like it to be? (I wrote "memalign" by mistake, which is the name of
a deprecated function that does a similar job)

It seems like a lot of memory is allocated unaligned. Is that normal? If
the memory allocations you've align cover the most speed-critical memory,
then why did Tim say that about memory alignment?