[PD-dev] DesireData's ./configure

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Wed Nov 22 21:37:19 CET 2006

Hallo,
Mathieu Bouchard hat gesagt: // Mathieu Bouchard wrote:

>  * I removed the setuid feature because Pd isn't a proper setuid app, as
>    it doesn't make any checks to prevent the user from abusing the access
>    it gets. I don't see why anyone should use this feature. Login as root
>    if you want to login as root.

Good idea: I would even suggest that this feature is dropped from
Miller's Pd as well (on Linux at least, I don't know other OSses
anymore) as there now are much better mechanisms to alleviate priority
than running as root, especially the PAM-rtlimits approach. I don't
run a setuid-root Pd binary for months now.

However I have believed that Pd *does* drop root priviledges after it
has changed its priority. Have I been fooled?

Ciao