[PD-dev] License implications of GPL3

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Wed Nov 29 00:20:39 CET 2006

I think that the license is complicated indeed, but only because it
has to be.  The landscape has changed a lot since GPLv2, so in order
to preserve software freedoms, the license needs to be that
unfortunately.

Something they are addressing in v3 that is of direct interest to Pd
users is patents.  v3 will basically have a lot of built-in things to
prevent and discourage people from suing users for patent
infringement.  That means that things like mp3, mpeg2, mpeg4, and
many other codecs could be more freely used.  Right now, there are
many free software implementations of those codecs, we are only
hampered by the patents.

I know I plan on releasing all my software under v3.

.hc