[PD-dev] Re: PD-cvs Digest, Vol 21, Issue 30

Mathieu Bouchard matju at artengine.ca
Wed Nov 29 19:26:31 CET 2006

On Wed, 29 Nov 2006, Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:

> Since Matju has stated that desire is a fork, I think it would be most
> beneficial to all of us, including the desire people, if it used its own
> repository.

Non Sequitur. Do you know what the letters CVS mean? They mean CONCURRENT
VERSIONING SYSTEM. Where are the concurrent versions in there, if the only
branch that is there is Hans-approved Miller-approved MAIN ?

> pd-devel is already pretty far afield for being a branch, it seems to
> have many changes that are never intended to be merged into the main.

Most CVS branches ever made are not meant to be merged back in. (Which CVS
repositories have you used apart from CVS's ?)

However, what's different from most branches, is that devel_0_39 and
desiredata are full of changes that would never be merged into the core
anyway, but it's not something that you are willing to understand.

> gaim-vv is a great example.  It was a fork of gaim to implement voice
> and video, which the intention of folding it back into gaim.
> Nonetheless, they opened up their own repository.

So, why did they open up their own repository? There's an explanation
missing in the reasoning here. Why is the situation of gaim-vv
particularly similar to the one of DesireData? Were there political issues
over shared resources like access control lists?