[PD-dev] Re: PD-cvs Digest, Vol 21, Issue 30

Georg Holzmann grhPD at gmx.at
Wed Nov 29 23:23:09 CET 2006

Hallo!

Mathieu Bouchard schrieb:
[...]
>   1. I had the delusion that there were more developers working on
>      devel_0_39, but I hadn't counted. Turned out that it wasn't true.
yes, but when there are more and more branches every developer will have
it's own one and it's much more difficult for new one to join (where?) ...

>   3. Thomas has a hidden branch because devel_0_39 is too dangerous
>      because I could be committing files in it.
well, if more people are working on the same then it's also clear that
sometimes there are clashes ... and it's also logical that Thomas
doesn't take the latest cvs and maintains a more "stable" version for
his product ...

> I don't see the branching as being a big change, nor as a surprise, nor
> as being weird or out-of-place or bad manners.
of course it's not a big change and it's easy because you don't have to
communicate ... and in the end you will give up desiredata and thomas
will give up devel because of the lack of man power ...
(I know, for me as a outsider it's easy to say that ... ;)

Thomas Grill schrieb:
[...]
 > Second, i think the whole case will solve itself shortly, because after
 > the merge a devel branch will probably not be called devel_0_39 any
 > more. It may also be a move back to more compatibility to Miller's
 > branch, or not.

would be great !

Mathieu Bouchard schrieb:
[...]
 > The case was already solved before you wrote that mail: I've already
 > branched DesireData off of devel_0_39, and I'm currently wiping #ifdef
 > DESIRE off of devel_0_39 so that you don't have to clean after us.

please wait at least some days till everyone is calmed down and you can
speak about the actual problems before you make such a work ...

The whole situation is a little bit similar to the current political
situation here in austria:
On 1. October there were elections and someone has to form a coalition,
but till now the parties didn't discuss the actual problems, they were
only angry against each other and said that they don't want to speak
with the other one ... nobody wants to make a compromise ... :=)

LG
Georg