[PD-dev] Pd CVS nodigest

Chris McCormick chris at mccormick.cx
Fri Dec 1 05:08:13 CET 2006

On Thu, Nov 30, 2006 at 08:00:15PM -0600, Kyle Klipowicz wrote:
> Yes, this is a very pertinent article, given what I've read of the various
> Pd-lists.  But the article fails to offer any viable solutions.  What can be
> done to combat this?

It's likely that software evolution will work the problem out for us all.
Whichever projects receive the attention of users and developers are the
ones that will survive. Perhaps we shouldn't see the plethora of Pd forks
as a bad thing, but as a healthy software ecosystem? Features can jump
between forks (either as patches, or re-coding features from scratch)
and competition will ensure innovation. The only down side is that there
is a fair bit of duplication of effort, but maybe that will get annoying
enough for the developers that they will start working together again.
Or maybe their personalities and differences will continue to make them
duplicate work unneccessarily. I have to selfishly say that I don't
really care, as long as it means more good Free software for all of us. :)

Given the history of the Max paradigm I am pretty certain that the lead
developer of Vanilla Pd will continue with his work, which is lucky for
me since that's the fork that I use most.

Best,

Chris.

chris at mccormick.cx
http://mccormick.cx