[PD-dev] devel branch

Thomas Grill gr at grrrr.org
Sat Dec 2 14:42:18 CET 2006

Hi all,
since things have been cleared up now, and obviously i have been
assigned the role of the "keeper of the devel", i'm thinking of how
to proceed with the mentioned branch.

A few points i'm considering:
- I have no interest in maintaining a branch open for the public,
when i'm the only user of it. It would be much more comfortable to
keep it at home, with all the freedom to make changes where i like,
not having to keep an eye on compatibility
- I'd find it beneficial to integrate Miller's changes that happened
since the last merge
- It would be nice to be able to provide patches of the devel
improvements for Miller, without investing a lot of time into it
- I'd like to use the autobuild system
- We need many of the extra features in devel for the vibrez project,
hence we have to keep them

The following solution comes to my mind:
- Make a list of things that are special for devel_0_39 (also asking
other devel contributors).
- Branch off a devel branch (without version number) from Miller's
latest cvs
- Gradually integrate the listed devel features into the branch, and
also making patches for Miller
- Rethink some architectural details, like the SIMD infrastructure
(ability to inline functions and enable auto-vectorization)

I think this is less work than merging in Miller's version into devel
and it also makes later incremental updates easier. Miller's version
and the devel branch can progress side by side.

Any ideas, comments, lamento?

best greeting,
Thomas

--