[PD-dev] devel branch

Mathieu Bouchard matju at artengine.ca
Sat Dec 2 23:24:48 CET 2006

On Sat, 2 Dec 2006, Thomas Grill wrote:

> and obviously i have been assigned the role of the "keeper of the
> devel",

It's been a while that I've been thinking of you as the keeper of the
devel, and of myself as being a guest.

> with all the freedom to make changes where i like, not having to keep an eye
> on compatibility

Well, compatibility would be a lot easier if we had automated tests like
most programming languages have. (That's why I had started a project
called PureUnity)

> - I'd find it beneficial to integrate Miller's changes that happened
> since the last merge

Agreed.

> - Branch off a devel branch (without version number) from Miller's latest cvs

I don't agree with that, I believe that it will be easier to merge things
the other way around.

> - Gradually integrate the listed devel features into the branch, and also
> making patches for Miller

Even though the 0.39->devel_0_39 is bigger, making patches for Miller
would be one reason to start the new devel branch from Miller's 0.40, but
I'm not going to encourage making patches for Miller.

> - Rethink some architectural details, like the SIMD infrastructure
> (ability to inline functions and enable auto-vectorization)

What would change about those features? (are those things in parentheses
not implemented? I thought that auto-vectorisation was already enabled?)

I have an important question: which version of 0.39 was devel_0_39
branched off of?