[PD-dev] audio interruptions from outside events (only with Pd)

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Mon Dec 4 16:57:03 CET 2006

On Dec 4, 2006, at 10:38 AM, Thomas Grill wrote:

> Am 04.12.2006 um 15:30 schrieb Hans-Christoph Steiner:
>

>> We are in the middle of trying to make [hidio] as robust as
>> possible in terms of plugging and unplugging devices.  One thing I
>> noticed is that if I have Pd running only a sine wave, then I plug
>> or unplug a USB device, I get an interruption in the sound.
>>
>> If I do the same thing with Audacity or Max/MSP, there is not
>> interruption in the sound.  Any ideas what's the root of this?
>
> I have no idea about the inner workings of hidio (is there a
> separate low-priority thread for handling the HID requests?), but
> Max/MSP has a different thread for DSP processing, and messaging is
> split into high and low-priority tasks.

"running only a sine wave", meaning the only patch that Pd is running
is:

[osc~ 333]
| \
[dac~]

So, nothing to do with [hidio] here.  Nor does it have anything to do
with high or low priority Max messages since no messages are involved.

realize his wishes.  Now that he can realize them, he must either
change them, or perish.    -William Carlos Williams