HID and threads WAS: [PD-dev] audio interruptions from outside events (only with Pd)

Tim Blechmann tim at klingt.org
Mon Dec 4 22:55:51 CET 2006

hi hans,

> [comport] and [hid] both use the standard calls and both do not use
> threads at all, yet neither has problems with blocking I/O (or at
> least no one has been able to make a patch that causes it to
> happen).  I am pretty sure they both use high priority queues in the
> kernel so that return very quickly.

after having a brief look at the hidio sources, you seem to use a mutex
for synchronization with a child thread ... this is basically not save
and may lead to audio dropouts, when running with low latencies. i know,
miller's portaudio implementation is not able to run under low
latencies, but the callback scheduler of devel is able to do so...

cheers ... tim

--
tim at klingt.org    ICQ: 96771783
http://www.mokabar.tk

There's no such entity as "most people". These are generalities. All
generalities are meaningless. You've got to pin it down to a specific
person doing a specific thing at a specific time and space.
  William S. Burroughs