HID and threads WAS: [PD-dev] audio interruptions from outside events (only with Pd)

Tim Blechmann tim at klingt.org
Mon Dec 4 23:35:56 CET 2006

> > after having a brief look at the hidio sources, you seem to use a
> > mutex
> > for synchronization with a child thread ... this is basically not save
> > and may lead to audio dropouts, when running with low latencies. i
> > know,
> > miller's portaudio implementation is not able to run under low
> > latencies, but the callback scheduler of devel is able to do so...
>
> We are currently in the discussion of how to use threads in externals/
> io/hidio, so we are testing various configurations, so this is
> probably going to change drastically.  (one hidio author that shall
> remain unnamed prefers to avoid this list for understandable but
> unfortunate reasons).
>
> How would you handle this particular situation?

well, devel contains some data structures to provide lockfree
synchronization, which vanilla is lacking. but since other technical
problems don't allow vanilla to run with low latencies, i wouldn't
really care about vanilla.

however, if you use thomas's flext framework, you won't really have to
deal with the threading problems, since he wrapped both vanilla's and
devel's api into flext, so no need to deal with it separately. beside
that, the max-port doesn't require 17 ifdefs ;)

cheers ... tim

--
tim at klingt.org    ICQ: 96771783
http://www.mokabar.tk

Every word is like an unnecessary stain on silence and nothingness
  Samuel Beckett