[PD-dev] slowing down dsp function inside perform loop

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Wed Dec 6 04:21:47 CET 2006

On Dec 5, 2006, at 10:13 PM, Mathieu Bouchard wrote:

> On Wed, 6 Dec 2006, Thomas Grill wrote:
>
>> currently there's no low-priority messaging in Miller's pd
>> version, but there is in the devel branch. It's one of the
>> features that have been there for some time and i'm trying to
>> provide a patch for Miller, so that it can make it into vanilla PD
>> some time in the future. Hopefully the auto-discard mechanism of
>> the patch tracker will blow up before that time. Don't expect the
>> feature to be available soon.
>
> So, how does one use that feature?
>
> Is it that all the audio is high-priority and all the non-audio is
> low-priority?

Isn't that basically the way it is now?  Correct me if I am wrong,
but isn't audio data processed first in each cycle, then message data?

FYI: Max since 4.3 (I believe) has two audio threads, a high priority
and a low priority.  "qelems" and the defer() functions give you
access to the low priority thread in externals.  Another detail of
not is that the threads are cooperative, not pre-emptive.  If a give
process doesn't defer(), then it won't give up that thread until its
done processing.

.hc