[PD-dev] comb filter freq response

Conor J Curran forward at forwind.net
Tue Dec 12 00:43:46 CET 2006

Hi all,

For the past few weeks I have been working on a custom type reson comb
filter external. Using SndObj dsp library I have two comb filter( one on
each channel left and right). There is a low pass filter placed in
serial after each comb. The effect til now is working quite well. But I
think my understanding of the freq response of the comb filter is a
little hazy hence its implementation a little naive. My understanding is
that the freq response is determined by the position of the Poles on the
unit circle. L the number of samples delay (in sample time => t ( in
secs) / the sampling rate) also denotes the number of poles there will
be.

Up until now I have used a simple calculation to convert the freq
response in hertz to the number of samples delay (L).

float L = Samplerate()/fInput;

This is where my understanding is lacking.
My assumptions are as follows:

The freq which is passed in corresponds to the fundamental of comb
filter response i.e. the first peak. To achieve this I simply divide the
SR by this freq to get the first subsequent multiples of the position of
the poles.
Am I looking at this the wrong way?

best regards,
Conor