[PD-dev] moving iemgui from core to extra

Mathieu Bouchard matju at artengine.ca
Thu Dec 14 19:18:06 CET 2006

On Thu, 14 Dec 2006, Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:

> In a first step towards making Pd a micro-language,

I'd like to distinguish between micro-language and micro-environment. Pd
is already a micro-language in the sense that it has a micro-syntax: a
syntax that is very simple, and that anything that may look like
additional syntax in pd, is built in terms of that micro-syntax. (Other
languages that have micro-syntax are the Forth family, the Lisp family,
and Tcl.)

Pd isn't a micro-environment because there's a lot of things present at
runtime that aren't needed, but most of them aren't an obstacle for pd to
be called a micro-language, because they fit in the handful of pd's
syntactic/semantic rules.

> I propose moving the IEM GUI objects that are embedded in Pd into the
> "extra" folder, compiled as individual files.

What's the advantage of doing that?