[PD-dev] moving iemgui from core to extra

carmen _ at whats-your.name
Fri Dec 15 19:54:21 CET 2006

> If we are going to have full-fledged namespaces, than this is an essential step.  Think C without any #includes or Java without any #imports.  Only the bare minimum is
> in the language itself.  Everything else is a library.

in Python 2.5, Tk is still a configure-time option, which means, TkInter isnt shipped as a seperate library (Even TCL ships Tk seperately). likewise, the JVM from sun includes a GUI as well. the Squeak VM includes a gui, debugger, source code editor, etc.

these GUIs may be shipped as nonoptional parts of the core, but presambly they do have their own namespace and installation directory on disk - does this mean we'll be cerating [iemgui/numbox2]'s in patches soon (or [declare import iemgui] or whatever)?

my question would be... what do you get out of this change. other than make people's patches slightly harder to build, and have to worry about getting your changes incorporated into miller's version or continually move around files every version bump..

i guess the prefs dialog has a setting for default library imports?