[PD-dev] 64-bit Tcl/Tk

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Sat Dec 16 18:42:50 CET 2006

On Dec 16, 2006, at 12:18 PM, chris clepper wrote:

> On 12/16/06, Hans-Christoph Steiner <hans at eds.org> wrote:
>
> -fPIC is on by default on Mac OS X, so that's easy.  Having 64-bit
> floats is quite nice on the interface side because it means you can
> have large integers in Pd, like timestamps.
>
> The 64 bit buzzword refers to memory addressing; double precision
> floats are different than 64 bit CPUs or applications.  FPUs have
> used 64 bit floats for years regardless of their addressing
> capabilities.

So does that mean it would be possible to make Pd use 64-bit floats
on all CPUs without a major performance hit?

Terrorism is not an enemy.  It cannot be defeated.  It's a tactic.
expect we're going to win that war.  We're not going to win the war
on terrorism.        - retired U.S. Army general, William Odom