[PD-dev] moving iemgui from core to extra

Mathieu Bouchard matju at artengine.ca
Sat Dec 16 21:34:22 CET 2006

On Fri, 15 Dec 2006, Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:

> If we are going to have full-fledged namespaces, than this is an essential
> step.  Think C without any #includes or Java without any #imports.

C/C++'s #includes don't have anything to do with namespaces. C doesn't
have any, and C++ allows you to use namespace-directives in whichever way
you want regardless of how the #includes work.

Java's "import" directives do implement namespaces, and only namespaces.
The loading of classes is done by java.lang.ClassLoader, whose closest pd
equivalent is [objectmaker].

> Only the bare minimum is in the language itself.  Everything else is a
> library.

Wouldn't it make sense to first categorize built-in classes according to
which APIs they require, in order to figure out which of them would be
most logically separable? Basically, every class is separable from pd, but
that's at the cost of making those new externals depend on a lot of
undocumented features that are not guaranteed to stay the same over
releases. For example, <g_canvas.h>, <m_imp.h>, <s_stuff.h>, ...

> The embedded iemgui objects are just an easy place to start, they are already
> one-class per file.

How do you handle class_addcreator() in that context?