[PD-dev] moving iemgui from core to extra

Mathieu Bouchard matju at artengine.ca
Sun Dec 17 17:09:08 CET 2006

On Sun, 17 Dec 2006, Steffen wrote:
> On 16/12/2006, at 23.47, Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:
>> The IEMGUIs were not originally part of the core, they were added later.
> Would it be of any value/interest to this discussion to bring up the reason
> why it was added (when it was added)?

As I understood it, PureData was originally supposed to be much more about
"Data Structures" ([struct], [drawpolygon], etc), without much of anything
else around, hence the name "PureData". However, those new features didn't
evolve as quickly as wished and the need for more MAX compatibility was
felt, because the world was in need of a free MAX clone (and JAVA-free as
well...). I think that it was a good move for Musil/IEM to introduce those
(even if I can't agree with the implementation) because cutting-edge
artists aren't quite tired of the MAX paradigm yet.

However, I started to use PureData only at 0.34, so I haven't witnessed
the introduction of IEMGUI into the core, so, I might not be the best
person to tell this story. Maybe Miller, T.Musil or even Mark Danks can
provide some background on what was PureData in the 90's.